Saturday, June 4, 2011

Artist Spotlight - Norah Borden


Norah Borden is a Canadian artist currently residing in Vancouver, British Columbia.


She graduated from the Ontario College of Art and Design in 1995. Norah has traveled extensively and draws upon these experiences as inspiration for her landscapes.


Her work has been exhibited internationally and is found in a number of private collections. Calona Vineyards features Norah's art on their Cabernet-Merlot in the Artist Wine Label Series.


What is your artwork about (underlying concept, focus, themes, intent, etc)?

On the surface, my paintings depict land or seascapes; however on a closer investigation they articulate thoughts and emotions within oneself and others. It is as if these expressions were projected onto an interior land or seascape. While nature is the departure point, the viewer using the painting as a vantage point, can explore deeper, more complex realms within their own experiences.


What informs your artwork or what are your influences?

There are many influences and experiences in my life which come across in my landscapes. Exploring nature through traveling is a primary influence. My seascapes are reflective of the west coast of Canada with all the intricate islands and passages around the mountains. At well, I paint my memories of watching the turbulent black waves of the Irish Sea. My time spent in the wine country of the Okanagan, Alsace, Burgundy and the Barolo region of Italy, inspired me to articulate the intrinsic beauty of the countryside.


A secondary influence within my paintings would be the appreciation and understanding of the nature of thought impacting ones' personal reality. This is articulated through the expressionistic painting and titling of the work.


Do you feel you need to position your work within the context of art history and if so what's your take on that?

Although I often think of Turner, Whistler and Monet as I paint, my work is based in the contemporary art realm through use of my textures, mineralized paints and techniques.


Is there a trigger or a starting point for each piece?

The starting point for my pieces is generated around a thought or emotion. The purpose is to inspire myself and the viewer and entice them into a land of thoughts.


How has your work evolved over the last five years?

Five years ago my work was abstract based. I was focusing very closely on spatial qualities and energy. Through the years my work has drawn back in perspective and encompasses more tangible land and sea formations.


What is currently the central motivation for or conceptual concern in your work?

The central motivation for my work is to articulate thoughts and emotion by embracing landscapes. It is as if my paintings are internalized perspectives projected onto land and seascapes. For me, each work although mainly landscapes, is a depiction of the human spirit with all its' various facets and conditions.


How does your physical/geographical environment inform the work you do?

I am living in Vancouver because I am surrounded by nature. I find myself mesmerized by the magnitude of the mountains. The ocean can have such incredible fluctuations of light depending on the influences of wind and shadows on the water. I study these effects closely and they emerge in my paintings.


What mediums, techniques, or processes are involved in your art making (and why these)?

By layering mineralized paints, I create a luminescent effect that makes the painting seem alive, continually changing with the movement of light. The optical effects of shifting colours can be seen by having the viewer move from side to side around the painting.


What are your other passions in life and how have these influenced your work?

My love for music and travel has hugely influenced my work. My time spent in the wine country of the Okanagan, Alsace, Burgundy and the Barolo region of Italy, inspired me to articulate the intrinsic beauty of the countryside. In contrast, the compelling black waves of the Irish Sea and the silvery qualities of the Pacific west coast create a moody atmosphere revealing the mystical influences of wind and light on water.


Why are you an artist?

I am an artist because it is in my soul. I see the world in a visual way. I have the desire, dedication and determination to express my visions, inspiring and provoking questions within myself and the viewer.


Interview by: Axis Contemporary Art



Many thanks to Norah for donating "Sea Change", 2007 to Unite with Art, 2011



No comments:

Post a Comment